Calvary Baptist Church History
CBC has a rich history going back to March of 1953 when Brother James Everett and his wife, Edna, along with two other families (the Blairs and the Wests) had the vision for bringing the gospel to the John T. White area.
Those early days were not easy. The small congregation first met in a small 16’x18′ tent on borrowed land. Later they were blessed with a larger tent.
By 1955 the congregation had grown large enough to purchase a building. They bought the old Inglewood Heights Methodist Church for $550.00 and moved it literally brick by brick to the John T. White area.
In 1957 a Sunday School wing was added and, in 1960 the church was blessed to have Brother J.B. Mercer and his family join. A carpenter, Brother Mercer was able to lend his expertise in completing a youth room and restroom in the Sunday School area. All of this was done without borrowing any money!
In 1991 another extension was added. This time it was to fellowship hall. A foundation was poured by Brother Addington. The duct work and brick work were contracted out. But the membership did everything else. Brother James said of those times: “The Lord has always supplied our need and the church never had to set a budget in all the years I have pastored.”
In 1999, under the leadership of Brother Lyndon Pettijohn, the church added on a front lobby, with bright, sunlit double glass doors, new bathrooms, a Pastor’s study, and offices.
By 2003 the auditorium needed a remodeling due to flood damage and decimation by “critters”. The church was perplexed. Where would we get the money? But once again, the Lord provided when it was realized that the insurance would cover all the damages and then some!
In 2009 the church completed the construction of a new, paved parkinglot and other amenities were also brought in such as a new, large capacity ice maker, updated sound system items, and other electronics to benefit the church.
Calvary Baptist Church has seen growth every year of its existence. Some people have come and stayed; others have moved on to other places. And some have gone to be with the Lord. But the Lord has always brought the people He wanted here at CBC.
Today we praise God for all of His blessings bestowed on us and especially for each precious soul saved through the ministry of this church.
Pastors Past and Present
Everett E. James is the founding pastor.
Brother James served the church for 33 years and resigned on July 20, 1986.
Mike Smith. 1986-1988
Kenneth McLarry. 1988-1989
Harry Smith. 1990-1993
Lonnie Collier. 1992-1997
Lyndon Pettijohn. 1997-2007
Shannon Eaton. 2007-present